We are pleased that you are interested in applying for the Master course in Global Studies within our consortium. Please find in the following information on the requirements and a guide on how to apply.
- Applicants should fulfil the following requirements:
- A bachelors degree or recognised equivalent from an accredited institution in Social Sciences or Humanities
- A sufficient undergraduate training to do graduate work in chosen field
- Very good academic performance
- Excellent English skills
- Furthermore, we do appreciate if applicants have a basic knowledge of German or/and Polish or/and Danish and/or any other European language
Admission decisions are made by the EMGS Selection Committee upon the following criteria:
- study results (= academic excellence) and quality/recognition of home institution having awarded the first degree
- motivation, academic potential and recommendation
- match of previous degrees with the Masters course in Global Studies
- level of language skills
- work experience/professional qualifications
Deadlines and timetable
The deadline for applicants that want to apply for an Erasmus Mundus scholarship is December 1st of each year for the next cycle of the programme starting in fall of the following year. Applications may be send starting with August 15th.
Applications arriving between August 15th and December 1st at the Global Studies office in Leipzig will be automatically taken into consideration for the Erasmus Mundus grant as well as for admission. Therefore please send only one application to apply for the Master's course in Global Studies and the Erasmus Mundus scholarship.
Applications arriving after December 1st cannot be taken into consideration for the Erasmus Mundus grant.
Preliminary information on the expected results for the application for the Erasmus Mundus scholarship will be send out via e-mail at the latest in April. The final decision is expected by the end of June.
For applicants who do not want to apply for the Erasmus Mundus grant or who missed the above indicated deadline it is possible to apply until June 1st of each year as a self-paying student for the next cycle of the programme starting in fall of the same year.
Within 2-3 weeks after the application has arrived in the Leipzig office a confirmation of receipt will be send out to the applicant to the e-mail address indicated in the application.
Applicants will be informed at the latest by the end of July about the outcome of their application.
Where to apply
The application for the Master Course 'Global Studies' is only through the Global and European Studies Institute of the University of Leipzig. Please send your application to the following address:
Erasmus Mundus European Master in Global Studies
Global and European Studies Institute
Documents to send
Your application needs to include:
- Application form (see below) including your home address, your date and place of birth, your e-mail address, your preferred mobility track (preference since final decision on the study places is made by the consortium)
doc.format || pdf.form
The application form for EU and non-EU students is the same.
- A Curriculum Vitae (you can e.g. use the Europass CV as a template)
- Motivation letter which explains why you are interested in this particular Master course (1-2 pages). In case you do have a preference for your mobility track please specify as well in the motivation letter why you would like to study at the respective universities.
- Proof of nationality (copy of passport)
- Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation if the document is not issued in English/German or French) of high school leaving certificate (secondary school diploma)
- Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation if the document is not issued in English/German or French) of university diplomas (if you you graduate after the application deadline please send us the degree as soon as you receive it, the decision on the admission will in this case be made on the grades indicated on the transcript of records. Please note that in case of an admission the copy of your certified Bachelor's degree certificate will be needed in August in order to be able to enrol you.)
- Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation if the document is not issued in English/German or French) of official transcript of study results from your university
- Certified copy or original hard copy of English test results. Applicants whose native language is not English must provide test scores for one of the following standardized English proficiency tests:
- TOEFL (international): minimum score of 550 paper-based (or 213 computer-based or 80 internet-based). Please notice that the code number for the Master's course in Global Studies is: 4688.
- IELTS: minimum score of 6,5
- CPE: Grades A, B, C (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- CAE: Grades A, B (Certificate in Advanced English)
- Applicants who have studied for more than one year in, or received a degree from, a college or university where English is both the language of instruction and the native language are not requested to take one of the above-mentionend proficiency test. An official certificate from the applicants' school/university is required to confirm that English is medium of instruction.
if applicable confirmation of command of Danish, German or/and Polish or any other European language other than the native language (e.g. confirmation of courses attended, tests passed)
- if applicable confirmation of command of Danish, German or/and Polish or any other European language other than the native language (e.g. confirmation of courses attended, tests passed)
- Two recommendation letters by academic teachers or employers (in a separate closed envelope, sealed by the persons recommending the candidate or/and on official letterhead) including the reference names and e-mail addresses
- A passport size photo
Please try to avoid the use of plastic/paper files and staples.
All applications are in English and in PAPER.
As indicated above some documents must be included as certified copies and certified translations in German or English or French and in the original language. All documents issued in English, German or French must be included as certified copies only.
A certification can be made by any autority that does hold an official seal with national coat of arms (in Germany these are town halls, police, courts, rectories and notaries).
Please note that in case you do not submit all documents requested by the date of the application deadline the missing documents might effect in a lower score point during the selection procedure and thus might lead to a reduced change to receive an admission for the programme and/or to be nominated for an Erasmus Mundus grant.
Electronic pre-application may be send to indicate an interest especially in those cases where air mail systems are operating under difficult conditions. Along with the electronic pre-application to em(at)uni-leipzig.de please send:
- Application form
- A copy of your first degree, including completed and official certificates and transcripts of all previous university studies must be submitted. All academic records which are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
- A letter of motivation in which you explain why you are interested in this particular Master Course. (1-2 pages)
- A statement regarding English proficiency
- A curriculum vitae in English
The applicants from China are requested to submit an additional certificate from 'Akademische Prüfungsstelle Peking' (APS). For further information please visit:
The applicants from Mongolia are requested to submit an additional certificate from Akademische Prüfstelle Ulan-Bator (APS). For further information please visit:
The applicants from Vietnam are requested to submit an additional certificate from Akademische Prüfstelle Hanoi (APS). For further information please visit:
Use of data
Please be informed that in case you are selected for admission to the programme and/or proposed for an Erasmus Mundus grant your data may be used for the purposes of evaluating the Erasmus Mundus Programme and will be made available to the Agency, the EM National Structures, the EU Delegations and the Erasmus Mundus Student and Alumni Association, acting as stakeholders of the programme.
All self-paying students will be charged with a processing fee of € 68 for the application. We will inform you about the payment details when sending you the admission letter. Please note as well that we do NOT return any of the documents you have sent no matter if you receive an admission to the Master course or not.
If you should have any questions concerning the application or the Master's course, please write an e-mail to Ms. Konstanze Loeke: em(at)uni-leipzig.de.